Helping Today. Shaping Tomorrow.
We know education is core to rehabilitation and ultimately to individual, family and community restoration. As educators and community leaders we have firsthand seen the transformative power of education. And we are transforming lives and the way things can be done.
Provide a safe and inclusive learning environment
Provide students with a learner-centered experience
Respect cultural differences
Develop learners' pre-existing knowledge
Recognize all people learn differently
Offer educational programming rooted in evidence-based, culturally responsive practices
Learn by doing
In 2020 New York State had 76, 008 adults under community supervision. Outside of New York City, Suffolk County had 6,435 adults under supervision with Nassau County coming in second with 4, 650 adults.
Help justice impacted
people on Long Island!
Become an SJI teacher
Additional requirements: all training provided by SJI together with our partners
● Trauma-informed care by a certified SAMHSA trainer
● Best practices: SJI workshops on teaching incarcerated students
● Continual professional development workshops
● New York State training requirements
● Sheriff’s Department training requirements